Disclaimer: This post was on my old blog. I noticed 404s from people coming from another blog that linked to this post. Although I'm not using OpenWRT anymore I've decided to put the original back online for those who end up here.
My noisy Pentium 3 Vyatta machine is done. Its duties are now taken care of by a TP-Link 1043ND, flashed with OpenWRT version 10.03.1-rc4. Saving 40W and lots of dB it is a nice replacement.
Having running a Munin master on my home server, I wanted to include statistics from my newly installed router. This was simply done by
From that moment on I received a mail from cron: something is wrong with muninlite on OpenWRT. Errors like
Digging through the code (which is easy, as muninlite is just a shell script) I determined it was 'ethtool' which could not be found.
Sure, that worked. But now another error appeared. You can check this by running 'ethtool eth0' manually:
To be honoust, I'm not sure how to fix that. But I do know how to work around it. Find the line in /usr/sbin/munin-node where 'ethtool' is executed. You'll see it is an if-statement, a total of 4 lines. Comment them out using #-signs, and your inbox is free of the annoying error messages.
Not the best solution, but regarding the fact you'll only 'miss' the maximum up and down from you ethernet interfaces I can't give a rat's buttocks.